Welcome to CT101 – Digital Storytelling! Spring 2023

Welcome Everyone!

Here we are: CT101 – Digital Storytelling! The Spring Semester of 2023!

bob ross painting

Ok, this blog post is a lot things, but first and foremost it’s a welcoming! Im excited to meet everyone and share our 1st class session to connect and learn about each other. Below, that’s Nyle DiMarco, he’s a Deaf Actor and Artist, he is showing us how to say: “Nice to Meet You” in American Sign Language. I’m also Deaf, so you can expect to learn some ASL and see more ASL GIFs this semester! I hope that you like animated GIFS, we are going use a lot of them here, and make them too! We are going to spend a lot of time discussing ways that we communicate.

an animated GIF of Nyle DiMarco signing "Nice to Meet You" in American Sign Language

There is a lot of compelling content to cover this semester in CT101, which will happen in many fun ways!

**This is the direct URL / Link to our class Website – https://ct101.commons.gc.cuny.edu/ <—that link is where EVERYTHING is happening for CT101.

I’m not a fan of blackboard (who is?? Its outdated and clunky..) and I will only use it to remind the class about password sensitive things or send a class e-mail. Please make sure you are familiar with the CUNY academic calendar for the semester as we will follow that..

kermit the frog rigorously typing - animated GIF

The CT101 Class Modality / Structure – CT101 will be taught synchronously in person this semester on campus here in the lab on the 4th floor in room 4m03 (academic core building) – we will also have course work that will be assigned and completed outside of class.

There are 2 sections of this course that will both follow the same course schedule & criteria – be sure to attend the right section of your course and not both ๐Ÿ™‚

Please know, I am always here to help you be the best that you can be in our course. And we are all here to do the same for each other. Our class is a community! A big part of our class is exploring your creativity and being experimental with the Internet! Plus, we will learn about the evolving array of digital tools that are available to us. We do quite a bit of the creative work from our own personal work spaces as we integrate the class work into our lives. Please know, I will always screen-record each and every assignment’s description, how-to’s and tutorials and share those videos here on our website. Please think of this website as a repository of information, energy and inspiration for the course (and beyond!)

*The Class Website – Our class website takes place on the CUNY Academic Commons! You will soon discover that the Commons is a huge resource and regular source of inspiration and community! Im excited to share this with you all.

**This Week’s Assignment is Below**

Let’s leave our first Comment!

In the comments section below (if you scroll down to the bottom of this page) Add a comment, Your comment will serve as your attendance today, but please introduce yourself! Tell us a bit about yourself, What is your name? What you are studying here at York College?  What is your favorite movie, activities, ice cream flavor? Favorite place or apps to visit on the web? What are you most interested in at this moment? Etc..) Feel free to add some links! Let’s get to know each other. Also – Reply to someone’s comment, say hello and share some interests. Commenting and activity on the website is big part of our class!

**PS -I moderate all the comments to make sure that spam bots don’t spam us into oblivion! If may take a few minutes before your comment shows up, no need to submit it twice if you don’t see it appear right away **

Also, please explore this website, read through the syllabus and some of the course resources, it will be super helpful in the next coming weeks.

48 thoughts on “Welcome to CT101 – Digital Storytelling! Spring 2023”

1. Hello,
    My name is Krista and I am currently a Senior. My major is Health Sciences and I am taking this class as an extra elective that seemed very interesting. I am a home body but love a good weekend out when I get a chance. I enjoy using apps like canva that help create videos and posters for social media.

2. Hello, my name Anju Ram I am a upper sophomore/junior. I am majoring in Sociology , my plan is to hopefully pursue a career in Social Work or FBI. My favorite movie is 2 Fast 2 Furious , the entire fast and furious collection actually. Cookie dough and brownie batter are my two favorite ice cream flavors. Instagram and TikTok’s consumes most of my time outside of college and work.

3. Hi, my name is Sandra Kitt, I’m a senior a majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies and minoring in Education (grades 1- 6). My goal is to become an Elementary school teacher and also a bestselling poetry author. My favorite movies are the Matrix saga, and Everything Everywhere All at Once. Favorite activities/ hobbies are reading spiritual growth novels, writing poetry, painting, spoken word slams, and meditation. I love cookies & cream ice cream. Recent favorite apps on the web are typical social media instagram and tiktok. I’m interested and intrigued by what meaning this class will hold for me, and all of the things I will grow to learn; how I can apply it to my love of writing and learning of technology.

1. Hi Sandra. Everything Everywhere All at Once is such a trippy movie. I loved seeing Jamie Lee Curtis in the role of an IRS auditor. And the scene with the two ladies dancing with hot dog fingers. Oh my. LOL. I opened an Instagram app, but I never post. I believe this class will change that.

4. Hi, my name is Trenae Smith. I am a freshman with an undecided major. My favorite is The Conjuring, all the conjuring movies basically. I like playing the sims 4, I share my gameplay and screenshots on youtube and tumblr. I dropped psych for this class instead because I’m struggling with choosing my major. But this class interested me a lot so I hope this helps me.

1. Hello Trenae! Just want to say its perfectly fine to struggle with your major. I’ve changed my major once already and might probably change it again but I won’t let that discourage me. Its a journey

5. Hello, my name is Ilvea (iL-Veea) Lezama, I am a Journalism Major and Political Science Minor.
    My pronouns are (she/her), I am excited to be part of the class, creating our own website (that actually belongs to us) and getting creative with it. I AM A HUGE FAN OF CREATIVITY!
    I want to thank you for speaking to us like we’re humans, like we’re all here with/for a purpose.
    I am ready to learn, experiment and ask a million questions!

6. Hi, I’m Aaquib!

I’m a journalism major, and minoring in creative writing and CT. My hobbies include Video Games, Tabletop RPGs, Reading, Creative Writing, etc etc.

I’m excited for this class! It’s such a breath of fresh air to be able to pursue more creative projects.

7. Hi everyone, I’m Khayla!

I am a Journalism major, I am currently in the last semester of my Junior year and I am eagerly looking forward to graduating within the course of the next few months. I look forward to taking CT101 this semester because I enjoy all things creative and limitless, which I feel Professor Seslow allows us the freedom to do, and that itself is just awesome! and makes me excited to get this semester on the road. In my free time, lately, I enjoy watching Fatal Attraction on Oxygen and reading books about making money and how to invest. Oh! and my favorite ice cream flavor is cookie dough ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Hi Khayla, it’s nice to meet you! I totally agree that Prof. Seslow is providing us with such freedom and that’s awesome. I can’t wait to express that and also see what you show as well!

8. Hello everyone, My name is Matthew but everybody calls me Seven (which is my middle name). I’m currently studying psychology at York College, but I do plan to change my major to finance soon. My favorite movie is Kill Bill. I like to read, write, and play video games. I love listening to music and talking to my friends. My favorite ice cream flavor is cookies and cream. Currently I’ve been watching a lot of anime and movies.

This is my favorite song right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZAgIHmHLdc

9. Hello, my name is Caytlin, and I’m excited to be taking CT 101. I would definitely like to widen my skills in tech and especially with using GIFs. I love them, I feel as if they express exactly how a person can be feeling in that exact moment that it’s sent. I major in Music and minor in Psych. I’m a sucker for heartfelt movies and I love to sing.

10. Hi everyone; it was great to get acquainted with you all last week. My hope for this course is to get more comfortable posting and sharing my writing through social media. I am also excited to use Adobe apps as I am passionate about learning everything graphic design. I am also interested in using Ai and integrating Chat GPT or Dalle into my design practices. I think it’s a fantastic tool that can help me become more efficient and proficient. I’m curious how the new Ai tools can help a student like me with virtually no programming skills begin coding. If I don’t have to spend $15k on a coding boot camp, I will be a very happy student ๐Ÿ™‚
    Looking forward to learning with you all

1. Great points, Jour! The integration of and acceleration of Ai is here to stay! Its equally terrifying as it is exciting, and we humans thrive on this combination of energy! Cheers to learning!

11. Hey there! I am a Communications Tech Major at York very excited for this class and this semester. A hobby of mine would be photography, and I love watching movies. My favorite ice cream flavor would be Grasshopper, which is similar to mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream. It can only be found at a small local Ice Cream parlor in Salem, CT.

12. What is your name? What you are studying here at York College? What is your favorite movie, activities, ice cream flavor? Favorite place or apps to visit on the web?
    Hey my name is Aliyah nice to meet you all. My major is communications technology. My favorite movie is Lilo and Stitch and also Beauty and the beast, I loveeee disney movies. Dancing is something I do on my free time. I also lovee filming vidoes ive been enjoying posting on youtube and tiktok. As for my favorite app id say Pinterest because it’s a lot less pressure and less social.

13. Hello, my name is Umar and I am upper senior at York College. This is my last semester at York and my major is Information Systems. Some of my hobbies are to travel and try new things. Last month, I went to Dubai and did a lot of sight-seeing. I don’t have any particular favorite movie. I don’t have a favorite ice cream flavor either but I do own a bubble tea shop in the city where we sell bubble tea with ice cream. Looking forward to have a good time in this class!

14. Hi everyone! I am super late to interacting with the site but my name is Jamilah and I am a junior Black Studies major at York. I can’t say I have one favorite movie, there’s so many great ones. For now I’ll say Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse because it incorporates comic book graphics with traditional Marvel action, with a main character that I closely identify with. My favorite flavor of anything is usually either Mango or Vanilla. I am currently obsessed with True Crime or Comedy Podcasts and the gym. My favorite space on the internet is probably TikTok or Tumblr, they both offer a quick escape from my day to day with a fun community and tons of interesting information. Looking forward to meeting you all and learning in this space!