What is Copy Right: Prompt #1

After watching Laws that Choke Creativity I found that Lessig did a wonderful job of making compelling arguments for  Remix Culture. Throughout the video I can recall many great quote from him that I could  pull from for this post but I can’t settle on just one.

Early on Lessig spoke on the intention of our generation when it comes to the internet. Specifically referring to amateur culture where what we create is…

“For the love, not for the Money”

It is what this class is all about.

Now, yes we can of course make money off of what we create on the internet and there is noting  wrong with that. But, let’s keep it real for second,           at-least for me…

We are apart of the first generation where the internet is an integral part of our culture and it is our way of communicating our voice to the world. Culture is something the evolves over time and technology is just one of many tools that we use to shape it to fit our reality.

“You cant kill the instinct that technology produces”

That is 100% true. You can try to kill it but we all know how prohibition went. It is all about the natural progression of human society and the internet is the culmination of that. An inevitable transition of  communication that can not be stoped.

“You cant stop our kids from using it we can only drive it underground”

Just like Hip-Hop and Punk music the youth will always revolt and break the law, in order to do what they love.  Especially, if it goes against our natural instincts. Instead of restricting us why don’t they just guide us and nurture the creativity, not criminalize it.