Are Memes Art?

The World If | Know Your Meme

Are memes art??? According to The Harvard Crimson

“Which is why, I would postulate, they’re art. It’s still difficult for many to think of such Internet-based phenomena as “art,” but, I ask — why not? They require quick thinking, wit, and creativity. They capture our anxieties, desires, sense of humor, and cultural moment.”

And according to SpokenVision.com

“If you take the definition of art, you can see that memes do fall into its definition.”

Also the video, “Are LOLCats and Internet Memes Art?” Shows both sides of this argument.

I truly believe memes are a form of art based on their expression. People can use them to display their emotions and creativity. Also memes have a big impact and influence. They can be created from just so many factors, such as cringe memes, happy memes, political memes, tiktok memes, instagram reel memes, youtube shorts, and the list goes on and on.

Trump's RICO Mugshot Has Sparked Memes, Tweets, TikToks Sketches

Ghost Death Stare Meme Template

I believe memes can definitely be used for story telling because of their ability to showcase different emotions. Also with cause and effect or prediction and outcome. Not gonna spoil anyone but if you know you know (meme below).

Image preview

Image preview

Image preview

Trollface meme

Image preview

Donald Trump Mugshot meme

I also looked at the links on the bottom and I was surprised that spongebob was ranked #2 in Thrillist top 100 memes of all time.

2 thoughts on “Are Memes Art?”

1. Good work!
    Thank you, haha, that Trump mug shot is really making the rounds on the meme front, Im sure there will be many more – see if you can push on this post a bit more, share a story or a memory that you have of using memes for a specific purpose or even the first meme that you became aware of.