Are Memes Art?

Question Mark Idk GIF by US National Archives

Are memes art? Memes can be used as a way to express any type of emotion or feeling just like art intends to do. Just like art, memes contain bright colors and images that catch the attention of the human eye. Individuals can tell their different experiences through the power of memes. According to SpokenVision.com “If you take a look at the past you can see that art has been used to do the same thing memes do now: bright colorful images that represent an idea.” Memes have become the most common form of self-expression on the World Wide Web.  The Harvard Crimson says “Just as not all art speaks to everyone, memes are much the same.” Memes are so direct and straight-forward to the point of understanding how someone feels in that moment.

Jack Black Mind Blown GIF by MOODMAN

My access and discovery of memes allows me to express how I feel in the moment, I often use memes a lot through texting to convey my reaction to a text or to make someone laugh. Memes allow me to be an open book on the internet.

Since I am a fan of sports and a NY Yankees fan, these are my favorite memes below that express my feelings about the Yankees’2023 season:

yankees suck Memes & GIFs - Imgflip Yankees Lost Play-in Game Which Means They Never Really Made The Playoffs  And They Are A Joke – Turtleboy The Yankees are the "best" yet they haven't won the World Series in over a  decade - Imgflip

Here are some memes that I created about CT 101:

3 thoughts on “Are Memes Art?”

1. Lol, these are great!
    Thank for the thoughtful post – nice quotes from the article – see if you can push on that more!
    Totally relatable yankees fan memes!!
    We can always keep adding and updating content to all of our posts as we go!