Assignment #3: Are Memes Art?

You cannot go a day scrolling on your phones without finding a meme somehow, somewhere. Internet culture is surrounded by memes and in a way, I think it kind of brings people together. A few of my favorite memes from the internet are shown below:

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───

Are memes art? Well, I definitely think that memes can be considered as art. According to this source, memes have the possibility to fall under the category of Pop Art. Another source also thinks that memes create a space of “creative reflection” while expressing our general thoughts and feelings. I believe that memes should be considered as art because they often convey emotions and feelings. To me, anything that conveys any sense of feeling is worthy enough of being recognized as art.

A gif from one of my favorite shows of all time, Spongebob Squarepants

I honestly think memes are an interesting but fun way of communicating! It is so cool that if I were to send a meme to my friend, they would most likely send their own type of meme in response to mine. Memes are more than just self-expression, they are a way of communicating to others. As stated in the YouTube video that was provided, Tolstoy speaks about internet culture consisting of “movements, lines, color, sounds..” and transmitting that feeling to others so that they experience the same feeling, is the activity of art. Memes could definitely be used for storytelling and many people do so, such as on TikTok, some people use the “picture slideshow” tool and insert memes to tell a story. The great thing about memes is that they could come in different forms, such as an image or GIF.

Here are a few of my own memes that I created for CT101. 🙂

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

5 thoughts on “Assignment #3: Are Memes Art?”

1. Hey Rehaana. I agree with you that memes can be considered art. They do not compare to what we usually see as art, but I feel like they are in a sub-category of art. I did not realize they could fall under the category of pop art, so it is a good thing you stated that. However, if there was a subcategory for pop art, I feel like memes would fit there. I say this because pop art has a specific aesthetic and I do not see memes as that. Yes, memes can have a pop of color, but it is not the same aesthetic as pop art.

1. Hi, Misha. Thank you for your input as to why you feel memes should be considered as art. It’s interesting that you think that memes should fit in its own subcategory for Pop Art. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post. 😀

2. Great work on this!
    The narrative flows really well and you have illustrated your post with great references and examples!
    A nice example for the class to see too!
    Thank you so much!