Assignment #10 – The WordPress Customizing Series, Pt. 1

begin fox tv GIF by Paradise Hotel

Where do I begin? How do I even start to express the magnitude of frustration I felt while designing my website?

Let’s just start with how I ended up choosing a theme that’s not Twenty-Twenty One which made it a little harder to follow the recording of class, but I still managed to get it done with a fair amount of struggle…

I ended up using the Blockbstarter theme and even though it is less beginner friendly I unwillingly welcomed the challenge because I liked it so much. This theme has a lot of pictures embedded onto the main page which meant I’d have to go image hunting to find something I liked.

I soon realized that I was drawn to the aesthetic of Pixel art gifs/media, like this one which I found with a simple Google search of Pixel Art Gifs:

I love the perspective of this image as it looks into the sun, as it makes me think of a new possibilities and journey ahead.
Rainbow Road GIF
As I started playing around with the settings and typography of my website I decided that I would keep the background a nice off-white color to match the bright expansive scope of possibilities.
I added 5 new pages and 3 categories so far (keeping in mind that I’ve already worked on it a lot longer than I would have at the point of which this blog post was supposed to be posted). The pages and categories have the same names which can be a little confusing, however, the pages will house static images and text that I add on to periodically, whereas the categories will house all of the blog posts categorized appropriately.
However, figuring out how to do all of that is a lot harder when you have no idea what you’re doing which is my what happened to me. At first I had no idea how to create a page or add the pages to the navigation menu, but thanks to the Zoom recording I figured it out, and also added the Classic Editor plug-in. THEN I ran into the problem of all my pages being drafts and I had no idea how to publish them and why they remained drafts…until I returned to my Dashboard and saw the option for Pages where I then formatted and published all of my pages.
Happy Stephen Colbert GIF
Most of the pages only have a featured picture at the top and a small amount of text…but at least it’s there!
Look at it!
I’m also proud of my website’s home page and how simple yet aesthetic it looks.