Assignment #5: A Dive Into DS106

While I skimmed through the DS106 Assignment Repository, a website that has project prompts that are categorized by multiple types of media, I decided on my first project that I would like to do.

ASSIGNMENT #5: My Digital Storytelling Projects

The first project I decided to do is titled Subtitle Gif, in which I simply upload a gif of my preference and add a subtitle to it. I selected this project because I already know how to do a task like this, so it seems relatively easy and familiar to me. For this project, I started off by selecting the gif I wanted. I went with this hilarious gif of Toad from Super Mario.

First I downloaded the gif and headed over to a website called Kapwing, which allows me to add subtitles, emojis, and other cool effects to my GIF.

After uploading my GIF to the website, I then clicked on the TEXT column and clicked on “Add Text”

Then, I inserted the subtitle that I felt fits best for the GIF.

Finally, I clicked on the download button to download my GIF. So simple!
And here is my finished product. Though, the watermark does seem to take up some space of the subtitles. :/
Another media type that I found from the DS106 Assignment Bank that at first, was slightly unfamiliar with, but seems really interesting would be the Back to Basics project. The description for this project says that you could explore Minecraft or other free world games and allow yourself to design your own house, cottage, or any type of world!
Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020)
In a way, I would say that I have already completed a project like that, on a video game called Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a video game for the Nintendo Switch that allows you to build homes, island infrastructures, and lessons about finance all while the player lives on an island with other animal villagers.
The video game also has a DLC called Happy Home Paradise in which the player can design homes for other villagers! You can design it to however you like as the villagers give you requests to what they want their vacation home to look like. Below is a clip from my actual gameplay in which I designed this villager’s home. The villager’s name is Flora and her theme was “Pink Paradise.”

I believe that skills such as learning how to create a GIF with subtitles is important because it allows you express what the GIF means to you. For example, the GIF could be funny to you, so you would put a funny subtitle. On the other hand, completing the designing in a video game project is important because it encourages self-expression.  We should constantly be utilizing the DS106 Assignment Bank  because it shows to you that there are endless multimedia uses in terms of digital storytelling.

7 thoughts on “Assignment #5: A Dive Into DS106”

1. Hey, Joi! Thanks for liking my post and thinking it was cool. I’m glad that my addition of Toad into my post made you think back to your childhood. I think most of us can agree that Super Mario has a huge impact on all our childhoods.

1. Hey Rehaana. First off, I liked your Toad gif because most people can relate and Toad’s reaction was funny with the context you gave. I also liked that you were detailed with your process of the project and I agree with the last part of your response. Because everyone interprets content differently and finds certain things entertaining, we will see what they think and what certain projects mean to them.

1. Hi, Mishla. Thanks for liking my Toad gif and I’m glad that you think most people can relate to it, that’s what I was hoping for! I think that it’s important to realize that everyone interprets content differently because what may be funny to you, maybe it’s not so much to others. 🙂