Assignment #6 – The Mid-Semester Assessment Post” How am I doing in CT101?

Assignment #6 – The Mid-Semester Assessment Post”

How am I doing in CT101?

Assignment #1 https://ct101.commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-admin/post.php?post=11370&action=edit 

Assignment #2 https://ct101.commons.gc.cuny.edu/wp-admin/post.php?post=12369&action=edit

Assignment number #3 I’m currently in the progress of completing assignment number #3 

Assignment number #4 Have not completed assignment number #4 but will complete it as soon as possible 

Assignment number 5 has not been completed but  I will complete it as soon as possible

How am I doing in CT101?

I feel that this class is very insightful and has a great real-world application as it pertains to my everyday life; however, I feel as though I am struggling to keep up with some of the work. Some of this is having to do with the fact that I have various physical impairments that affect my ability to perform at a high level constantly as a student– some of which have impacted me as of late. This unfortunately has hindered my ability to keep up with the work regularly. Aside from this concern, I appreciate the format of this class as it allows students in my position to still have an ability to catch up and attain a better grade. Even though I might not have started the best, I still have the ability to finish strong and I can appreciate having the opportunity to recover and constantly improve throughout the class.

How many points have I earned so far and what grade do I believe I am maintaining? 

So far during the course, I have earned approximately six points because I have completed two assignments and commented once. I believe that my grade up until this point is a failing grade in the course due to my lack of completion of assignments; however, I do plan to take action and do my best to complete the remaining assignments and the assignments that I have fallen behind on by executing better time management skills and being more focused on coursework in general.

What have I learned and retained the most

One of the skills that I have learned during the course CT 101 is how to embed a .gif into a post as I had previously not had knowledge of how to do so before. I find it ironic that we function and interact with .gifs daily and to be able to see on a functional side of how it works to create a post gave me some more in-depth exposure into something that I had not necessarily ventured into as deeply before. This allowed me to utilize different formats to express myself and my work in different ways beyond the spoken word. With an ever-changing society and the way communication is always evolving, I feel it is imperative that I at least learn the basics behind these foundational means of communication.

What new skills have I developed, cultivated, and displayed regularly in my weekly posts?

I feel as though from when I first entered the course to now that I have developed many more skills in terms of the online space and a better understanding of how to manage Public Image and keep track of work. Also, I have learned a great deal about applications that I could apply with not just in an academic setting, but also far and beyond into the job world and my career as a journalist, such as embedding memes, .gifs, and hyperlinks as those may seem like the basics, but I had never been exposed to such things previously. 

How do I assess my performance through self-reflection in this class? 

I assess my work in this class as that there is much to be improved upon in terms of just getting to work on time and submitting assignments in a timely manner and also just being more engaged. This takes a bit of getting used to for me because I’m not used to commenting on other people’s work and critiquing, which is just a habit that I have to break as establishing communication and rapport between classmates is very important to receive and give feedback in a constructive manner.

What do I know now that I did not know before taking this class?

Entering this class, I was pretty much a novice when it came to embedding .gifs and using hyperlinks and actually applying a lot of these concepts and understanding how they work in my everyday interaction with technology and the modern age of social media. Understanding typical applications that we use every day, helped open my eyes up to how important some of these things can be in the communication that we might take for granted on a day-to-day basis. As people, we might not be encouraged to spend extra time on what actually makes apps like Giphy and memes important and how simple yet impactful they can be 

Do I see my weekly blogging work expanding creatively? If so, please explain –  or am I stuck in a loop where my posts seem to look the same most of the time, how will I change that?

I feel like my posts are expanding creatively, although I haven’t done many of them. I also feel like I have a lot more to add and go back to since I’m always learning and adding to my repertoire when it comes to understanding the material from when I entered the course to now. I feel as though I’ve gained a lot and still have a tremendous amount to learn. I’m always expanding my horizons in terms of bettering myself as a student both inside and outside the classroom. Relative to what I know at the time, my post may seem bland but I also know that I know a lot more now and I can go back and always at it and change or add to the work.

Are there any assignments that you are missing? If so, list them. Are you commenting regularly on your classmate’s posts? Are you responding back to comments given to you by the professor & your classmates? Are you participating during class time? If not, explain why. This is the time to be accountable. How will you make needed improvements?

I haven’t been keeping up with many of the assignments as I am missing blog posts 3, 4, and 5. I will admit I haven’t done the greatest job in managing my classwork and school work with my personal life as I’m just being reacquainted with school and college life. I had taken a hiatus for the previous two years after going through extensive medical rehabilitation. I also have not been responding to my classmates’ posts although I don’t have issues communicating in-person as I do online. I have formed somewhat of an introverted tendency to not answer or interact with people in the online space and I’m working diligently to break these habits and evolve as interacting with other people can only help to strengthen my skills in the communication field moving forward.

3 thoughts on “Assignment #6 – The Mid-Semester Assessment Post” How am I doing in CT101?”

1. I really like this article since you’re talking about a lot of facts, and the nature of this class allows us students to still catch up and get a better score, and we can still finish strong even if we miss a few posts. Great job!

2. Thank you so much for the thoughtful and insightful statements here in this post!
    Good work! You are doing just fine here in ct 101!
    I appreciate you, and please know that I am here to help at anytime.
    We can always make edits and changes along the way. Plus, we can chat via e-mail or via zoom for help in applying some of things needed to advance.
    As you know, you have 100% of my support!
    We got this together!