Build an Outfit

Clip from the movie "Clueless"
Clip from the movie “Clueless”

Let’s Digitally Build an Outfit!

I would be lying if I said I didn’t have a tiny ounce of interest in fashion, especially as a teenager. It is very exciting yet overwhelming when trying to figure out my clothing style. There are so many trends and styles to choose from but I never know which one fits me the best. Doing a little exploration and experimenting is important, which is what I’m still doing now. But one day I’ll figure out what is best for me.

Knowing your style is one thing but knowing how to put outfits together is another. Luckily I had experience with this back in 2016-2017. There was this site called Polyvore where people were able to create image collages and share them with others. It also included lots of pictures of clothing, home decorations, and beauty product so you didn’t have to search on other websites. I used this site to create outfits for fun and also utilized it when I made short stories and needed outfit ideas for my characters. Sadly, another brand bought the site and so Polyvore was shut down. 

Luckily, my account was connected to my Pinterest account so any collage I posted on the Polyvore website was also posted on my Pinterest. Here’s something I made back in December 2017:

Polyvore - Outfit Collage
Outfit collage made in Polyvore

So for this assignment, I instantly thought back to my Polyvore days and decide to build some outfits. I searched up and down and all around on Pinterest for pieces that I liked. And the idea is to choose one piece of clothing and think about all the outfits to make with that one piece. It’s better to avoid searching for full-on outfits due to the lack of versatility. This is how you end up with a full closet of clothes but with the mindset of “I have nothing to wear”. I am very guilty of this.

Lizzie Mcguire
Lizzie Mcguire has a lot of clothes but nothing to wear

After I found pieces I liked I saved them to my desktop and opened them in Figma. At first, I didn’t know how to incorporate Figma in my assignment but then it started to remind me of a drawing board. Something you use to write out plans and ideas. So, I used Figma to showcase all the pictures that I had downloaded and it made it easier for me to pick out what pieces of clothing I want to make an outfit.

Messy Outfit Collage/Showcase
(Click the image for a better view) Messy Outfit Collage/Showcase in Figma

And I also want to thank Professor Ryan for providing us with removebg because I’ve been searching up and down for a good background eraser for so long. This is THE best background remover ever! You simply upload your picture and it’ll automatically erase. I used removebg to remove the background from the clothing pictures to make putting the collages together more “aesthetic”. And I’m paying homage to my Polyvore days of course. I then opened all these pictures in mmm.page and created mini clothing collages. This website was much better to use. Pretty simple and I had more control over creating my space. Here are the four outfits I was able to create using the many pieces I downloaded:

Outfit collage made in mmm.page
(Click the image to take you to my mmm.page) Outfit collages

Which outfit would you wear? Or which outfit do you like the most?  Personally, I love outfit (A). It seems like a simple and cute outfit. The sneakers and the long jean skirt are my favorite pieces actually. My second favorite would be (B) solely because of the red jacket. It reminds me of a racer or a biker jacket which I love so much.

Bunch of cool bikers
Bunch of cool bikers

I’ve always had some type of connection with fashion. I know it might not look like it…listen y’all I have a decent style of clothing, I’m just broke LOL. But I grew up playing fashion games and putting outfits together like I was an actual stylist. You know what, after this blog post I will be playing the old Bratz fashion games just because. Even in The Sims 4, I’m mostly creating and dressing up these sims for fun (Sneaking sims in one way or another). 

Putting on outfits combines creativity and self-expression which is something I love. It helps you to play around with various outfits, colors, and patterns to develop a unique appearance that accurately captures your personality. Putting together an outfit may be enjoyable and fulfilling, whether you’re preparing for a special occasion or just for everyday use. So go ahead and use your wardrobe to express who you are while having fun!

Everyone dresses beautifully
Everyone dresses beautifully

1 thought on “Build an Outfit”

1. Fantastic work here!
    Another fine example of great storytelling, use of embedded media, imagery, links and creative flow!
    Im so excited to see the work created in both figma and mmm and how you see those contrasts!
    they are both great tools that have so many uses, this is a really fun and original use of creativity and I appreciate it! I love how this inspires your passion for Sims 4 as well, using a digital application to explore the same fashion creativity!
    Cool!