The Internet’s Own Boy

First I want to say that I have already heard about Aaron Swartz and his legacy.

I have always been very curious with topics related to hackers, hacktivists and people related to information technology and a couple of years ago I was doing research on white, gray and black hat hackers, and I came across an article about Aaron Swartz. From my point of view, I knew him more as a hacktivist person who wanted to make the internet a better place with free information about what you want.

The idea that I consider important that Aaron mention is to have free information on the internet (I don’t remember if he said it in the video of “The Internet’s Own Boy” or in an interview since I saw many interviews of him) and it seems very silly that all that information is available only to a certain group of people like us just for being students. I think that if it is learning information, it should be free worldwide.

We as students have access to the college library where we can find millions of verified articles and it is because CUNY has an agreement with copyright owners such as The New York Times. But people who are not students cannot have this information for free.

I was also very interested in Aaron’s law which is about how “digital crime” should be judged since the sentence they gave Aaron was too exaggerated, and this law helps people related to “digital crimes” have a better sentence depending on what they have done.

The downside is that someone always has to die to make a change and leave a legacy in the world as Aaron did it.

4 thoughts on “The Internet’s Own Boy”

1. Thank you, I’m glad you liked it. Aaron’s documentary is one of the ones that I liked the most because of its impact on the entire activist and hacktivist community. I also share all his ideals and of course I would like to do what he did. But it’s illegal haha