Vaporwave, what a genre!

Vaporwave is a genre of music and aesthetic that embraces the simple beauty of the 80s, utilizing deep purples, neon blues and VHS styled imagery. It has a very futuristic yet retro vibe to it which makes it appealing to both older and younger audiences.

I personally LOVE vaporwave. Although I’ve never heard that specific term until now, I’ve actually had encounters with it while browsing Youtube before attending CT 101. While watching the video Vaporwave: Genre Redefined, he mentioned Japanese vaporwave which caused someone in my brain to tick and I searched up “Japanese Vaporwave” on Youtube.

What I found out was I’ve been listening to vaporwave this whole time! The video above includes a song originally by Anri, a japanese artist in the 80s, that has been remixed to fit the vaporwave genre. It’s accompanied by a clip from a Japanese animation shown during the 90s. It’s one of my favorite songs to listen to when I need a break from work or school.

Although I wouldn’t personally create vaporwave designs, I think they’re very intriguing! The art style itself SHOULD be considered old fashioned, but it’s actually very refreshing and soothing! Also, now that I’ve realized my love for vaporwave music, I’ll continue searching for more songs to jam out to!

Vaporwave…how much nostalgia it brings!