Assignment 3: Are Memes Art?

Art is the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

According http://webopedia.com 

Memes area concept or idea that spreads virally from one person to another via the Internet. An Internet meme could be anything from an image to an email or video file; however, the most common meme is an image of a person or animal with a funny or witty caption. The proliferation of social media has led to Internet memes spreading very quickly and reaching more people. Many Internet memes use humor and appeal largely to the adolescent and post-adolescent demographic: this demographic is much more likely to discover Internet memes, understand the humor behind them and be willing to forward it on to friends.”

The digital age has changed the type of media art is seen and created on. The use of paints and sculpting will always be needed, but the downside is these things break and get damaged over time. Memes are timeless in a sense they aren’t link to a period in time or an artist style. MEMES ARE ART

I had a horrible experience on the MTA Thursday after class. I got on a bus. My daughter and I boarded the bus, and the driver never secured my wheelchair. She told me it wasn’t her job to do so. She allowed my chair to skid while she drove as I held my daughter in my lap. By law, the bus isn‘t supposed to be in motion until my chair is secured. She wouldn’t give or name and badge number I reported her to the MTA. I even plan on Suing the MTA for negligence. I have made it my life’s mission to call people out on their crap when they violate my rights. Memes allow me to show how ridiculous people sound when they say ignorant things to me in relation to me being disabled. This is to bring awareness to inclusion and give a voice to people who may not be as vocal as I am.

1 thought on “Assignment 3: Are Memes Art?”

1. WOW! Thank you so much for this great post! The Meme / art descriptions, wonderful!! Great narrative and curation / creation of content! But the Bus story! GRRRR, makes me so MAD! Im so sorry that happened, the driver is 100% at fault, and I cant imagine they would be so oblivious.. Im sorry to hear of this and I am 100% with you on calling out people on their crap! Ablism, makes me super mad! I do love that you have expressed this here and made a Meme based work of art to express yourself!
    Much good Energy and thanks!
    🙂