Are Memes A Form of Art?

Memes are used in our everyday lives just as much as some of our household appliances. But the question raised as to whether they are a form of art or not– is up for debate. To me, even before researching, my answer to this question would be yes, but I couldn’t say exactly why before giving it some thought. By giving this question some thought, I “thought” to myself, “Well, what is the basic definition of art?”

A quick Google search defines art as, “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.” The phrase “creative skill and imagination” and “beauty or emotional power” stood out to me, because any form of art can conceive this– including memes. To my knowledge, memes are mainly used for purposes of amusement; to get a laugh out of them. Isn’t laughing brought up by what you would call “happy”  emotions? Doesn’t it take creativity and imagination to create some of the most whimsical memes? I believe so!

Here’s my proof from the research I did on “Are memes a form of art?” (Interpret it however you may):

“Choosing the right template, deciding whether to make it a video or an image, the arrangement of panels, the cropping, what text to add — these are usually what sets apart hilarious from funny,”

Chloe Caparas, a Customer Service Representative, crafts her own memes, not to share in a page or in a group, but to share on her private profile. ‘Whenever I think about something funny or what I think is witty, I create memes, by that I can share my thoughts with people that’s why I enjoy making them.’”

Luigi shares the same sentiments, saying, ‘Whether sharing memes or making them myself, it allows me a way of expressing and sharing things I find funny in a creative way as opposed to posting statuses that we often find boring or obnoxious.’”

–Excerpts from Clozette article, “Are Memes The New Art Form Of The 21st Century?”

Here are some of my own memes that I created:

Pandemic fatigue be like:

Also pandemic fatigue:

But seriously, who thinks we’ll be online again in the fall?

Hope you get the reference 🙂 (I know it’s corny, but it’s the best I could do with a Miley Cyrus meme)

One of my favorite memes, that originally wasn’t known as a meme by pop culture. Another reference that only 90s/ early 2000s kids would get. (Hint, hint,– procrastination)