Assignment #1: What makes you happy on the internet?

THE MET BALL: COSTUME INSTITUTE BENEFIT 2021  

I am going to be very transparent with you all. I LOVE FASHION. This week I spent too much time refreshing my phone with anticipation waiting for each look from this year’s costume institute gala also known as the MET Ball.The Met gala could be viewed on any digital platform, from social media to print media and of course Youtube.  The MET Ball or MET gala is originally hosted on the first Monday of may. This year the biggest night in American fashion was held on september 13,2021 due to covid-19. FortunatelyThe night was still as spectacular. For me the best part of this event is seeing guests (the individuals invited to participate at the MET gala) interpretations and execution of the theme of the gala.  The theme of this year’s ball was In America: A Lexicon of Fashion, which is meant to focus on all the emblematic figures and identity in America. 

Although some looks were a little bit odd and hard to understand…… 

(left)Image of Kim Kardashian wearing a fully covered black Suit by couture Balenciaga. 

(Right) Image of ASAP Rocky Wearing giant quilt by Eli Russell Linnetz Spring 2022 collection   

Most of the looks from that night were absolutely breathtaking and the viewers/ fans instantly understood the inspiration and appreciated the artistry of each glown/look 

(Top left ) Hailey Biber wearing black figure-hugging full length gown by Saint Laurent 

(Top Right) Amanda Gorman wearing a royal blue gown by Vera Wang. This gown was inspired by the statue of liberty 

(Bottom) Billy Eilish  wearing nude tulle gown by Oscar de la Renta 

I also love gowns/looks that create conversations and illustrate a political statement. What do you think she is advocating for?

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York wearing a custom Brother Vellies ivory wool jacket dress and the message “tax the rich” in red across her back. 

Ultimately, I believe fashion is not to be taken so seriously, it’s just fun and sparks some joy into people’s lives. Please give me your favorite look!

Internet Happiness

Growing up, I played basketball my whole life, and there was a constant community I immersed myself in through competition, but as I grew old, I became more and more disconnected from the sport, and my social networks shifted. The internet but more specifically the app/website, The Score, has allowed me to regain touch with my passion for basketball and sports by allowing me to keep up with the latest NBA news, join small group chats and track live scores throughout all Sports. Overall, I feel like old interests are coming back through the refreshed lens, which makes me happy! 

The video above shows the new features and retouch of theScore UX and UI.

DS 106

When it comes to the DS106, I know the 2 projects that I can do and would like to do.

This is the fanfic assignment. I had picked this one because I used to/ still kind of write fanfics. Not only is this something I can do, but it is also something that I have done. I wrote stories in high school on my own time. I would even jot down some ideas that I had during lunch and write them down when I got home. So I think that I would be able to do the fanfic assignment given here. 

For this assignment with tina, I think I would be able to do this well. While I do not have specific tv shows that I can call my favorite, I can definitely do it for other shows. I can take in the anime shows that I have watched and use my favorite ones to give me ideas. Tv shows I can think of that I can use would be the big bang theory, family feud, and probably futurama. 

The radio assignment is one that I would be willing to try. The reason I picked this one specifically is that I thought it would be very interesting to me to learn how to do a commercial back in the ’80s. When I read this and heard to put some background music and/or sound effects, I thought about the different effects from the shows I used to watch. I do not know what exactly I would use for sound effects, but I would try something creative.

Are Memes Art?/ Feelings for CT101 Assignment

This is exactly how I feel about this class. Lol I hope my computer science Professor doesn’t see this. This class incorporates the communication portion and development of current computer knowledge whereas computer science focuses on the business portion of spreadsheets and portfolio development, which was also very useful however very monotonous.

As much as I’ve enjoyed my academic experience in college, aside from my major there were not many classes that encouraged the expansion of my creativity skills until my final 2 semesters. CT101 and Photography will definitely be those 2 elective courses that explored the fun and entertaining portion of college. A class made FOR its students, especially uplifting during these difficult times.

First things first rest in peace Uncle Phil. This meme is hilariously on point. I currently do not have a reason to get up early everyday and leave home and my current sleep schedule is going whack a mole. No matter how much I sleep I’m always tired, coffee is now my bestfriend, send help pls lol

Are Memes A Form of Art?

Memes are used in our everyday lives just as much as some of our household appliances. But the question raised as to whether they are a form of art or not– is up for debate. To me, even before researching, my answer to this question would be yes, but I couldn’t say exactly why before giving it some thought. By giving this question some thought, I “thought” to myself, “Well, what is the basic definition of art?”

A quick Google search defines art as, “the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.” The phrase “creative skill and imagination” and “beauty or emotional power” stood out to me, because any form of art can conceive this– including memes. To my knowledge, memes are mainly used for purposes of amusement; to get a laugh out of them. Isn’t laughing brought up by what you would call “happy”  emotions? Doesn’t it take creativity and imagination to create some of the most whimsical memes? I believe so!

Here’s my proof from the research I did on “Are memes a form of art?” (Interpret it however you may):

“Choosing the right template, deciding whether to make it a video or an image, the arrangement of panels, the cropping, what text to add — these are usually what sets apart hilarious from funny,”

Chloe Caparas, a Customer Service Representative, crafts her own memes, not to share in a page or in a group, but to share on her private profile. ‘Whenever I think about something funny or what I think is witty, I create memes, by that I can share my thoughts with people that’s why I enjoy making them.’”

Luigi shares the same sentiments, saying, ‘Whether sharing memes or making them myself, it allows me a way of expressing and sharing things I find funny in a creative way as opposed to posting statuses that we often find boring or obnoxious.’”

–Excerpts from Clozette article, “Are Memes The New Art Form Of The 21st Century?”

Here are some of my own memes that I created:

Pandemic fatigue be like:

Also pandemic fatigue:

But seriously, who thinks we’ll be online again in the fall?

Hope you get the reference 🙂 (I know it’s corny, but it’s the best I could do with a Miley Cyrus meme)

One of my favorite memes, that originally wasn’t known as a meme by pop culture. Another reference that only 90s/ early 2000s kids would get. (Hint, hint,– procrastination)

What Makes Me Happy

To be quite frank, not much of anything on the internet makes me happy these days. I TRY to avoid it and focus my attention on the things I want and have to do for myself. However, from time to time, I find myself looking at images of kittens, dawning over getting one.

via GIPHY 

I found this GIF on GIPHY, it’s a GIF of a cat, (although not a kitten), jumping headfirst into a bank of snow. I chose this because the snow is the second item that’s been making me happy lately. Seeing the snow-covered ground and houses along with the silence of the night when the snow has fallen is something that’s really pleasant to me. It’s what reminds me of growing up in New York during the winter and it’s delighting to see after we had a mild winter with no snow last year.

Posted by @mtanyctpic, photographed by @eugenearmer on Instagram

Linked above is a picture I found on Instagram of a snow-capped B train traveling through Brooklyn. This particular stretch of the line always looks satisfying when the snow blankets the open-cut trackage.

Internet Happiness

What is making me happy on the internet?
TV Shows

As I try to keep up with this very busy semester, I’ve been watching Brooklyn 99 and I love it so Far! One of my favorite moments happened in season 2 when everyone showed up with the same cheap bottle of wine.

Samesies!

Memes

Other than my obsession with BK99 right now, memes generally make me happy as well on the internet. I have been wanting to delete my Instagram for some time, but I can’t do it because it also makes me laugh when I need it the most.

Communication

Aside from the memes though I also like the internet especially right now, because it allows me to communicate with my friends even those that don’t live anywhere close to me and honestly, sometimes all you need is to talk to your friends

Assignment #1: Meme Stocks and Billionaires’ Tears

What makes me happy on the internet is seeing unprecedented events unfold in real time. In these last few  weeks or so, Wall street has been in a frenzy, as hedge fund investors and reddit stock traders go head to head in an intense battle. This can be seen as a modern day ‘THIS IS SPARTAA” event.

This trending topic on the internet has made me happy because it’s a real life example that there is strength in numbers.  Retail traders, which are everyday regular people who trade in the stock market, teamed up with each other against large hedge funds and banks. On a regular basis, retail traders don’t have much power. Large hedge funds and banks have the most power, as they have enough market power to move markets.

Retail traders on reddit beat these wall street big shots by artificially driving up the price of  “meme stocks,” which are stocks that are living in their last days, but bring on moments of nostalgia. They are stocks whos sudden increase in value isn’t dependent on the company’s true value or actions of the company that contribute to its market performance. Meme stocks are instead, based on the basic market factors of supply and demand. A large volume of buy orders would drive up demand and thus price. Conversely, a large volume of sell orders will drive down demand and thus price. These stocks include GameStop and AMC.  This fiasco all started when wall street investors shorted the stocks of GameStop and other companies destined to fail. Want to know what shorting stocks is? Take a wild guess first, then proceed

When you short a stock, it means that you bet against the stock. In other words, you bet that the value of the stock will go down to a certain price. Once the stock price falls at or below that set price, then you start to make some serious cash. This is basically what the big wall street guys were doing. However, if the stock prices go up, These big wall street guys lose money, since they basically lost the bet that the stock price was going down. That is exactly what happened here. The stock prices of these destined to fail “meme stocks” skyrocketed, causing catastrophic losses to hedge funds that shorted these stocks.

With this in mind, these retail investors on reddit banded together and started buying up GameStop shares like crazy, driving up the price per share from $16 to a peak of $345 a share in less than 2 weeks.  Essentially, within a week GameStop went from a company living its final days in its stock market death bed to a full blown stock market athlete competing with fortune 500 companies. Please refer to the image below for a quick LOL moment.

This is the first time in history this has ever been done and it was only possible because of the internet.  Think you’re having a bad day? Imagine being a wall street investor who spent countless hours analyzing charts and market performances to predict what companies can potentially be shorted, just to be outsmarted by some Adderall fueled millennials on reddit trading from their parents basements. Sheesh.

This goes to show how the internet can be used to bring people together for a multitude of different purposes. Yes, this includes teaching wall street billionaires a lesson and making some money in the process. If you want more information on this situation feel free to watch the Youtube video below.

Digital Storytelling Project Flexibility

Do you like Game of Thrones? Well, this work is gonna be related to it.
So, in the Assignment Bank I looked inside Visual Assignments, and on the second page at the end I found something that caught my attention

On the left you can see an assignment related to the HBO series “Game Of Thrones” of which I am a big fan. So I went into that assignment to see what it was about.

As you can see, here you have to create your own House and Sigil. For those who do not know, in the series there are different houses that are basically families. Each family has a sigil and something that represents them. For example: One of the most known houses is the Stark house, which is represented by a wolf, and its motto is “winter is coming”. Well, to do this assignment I used a web page Jointherealm.com and I did it like this.

First, I want to explain the details of my house. The name of my house in Bergling, and why Bergling? Well, Bergling is the last name of my favorite artist, Tim Bergling better known as Avicii who died in 2018. The owl is the animal that represents my house and I chose it because it is a nocturnal animal that is very beautiful, has large claws and is always attentive to everything. And finally, my motto is “Without mercy, but with honor” and I chose this motto because it was the first that came to my mind since I’m watching the Cobra Kai series and they mention it there. This is the result:

Sorry for the quality of the screenshots, I don’t know why it looks super blurry. On my laptop it looks super good but once I upload them they get blurry.

thanks thank you gif GIF