Assignment #4 – Digital Storytelling Project Flexibility

For this week’s assignment, we will use the DS106 Assignment Bank

WOW! this looks cool we have the option to work on 11 different  assignments that involve the likes of “project prompts that are categorized by a variety of media types (visual, design, audio, video, mashup, writing, fanfic, and animated gifs”.)

I have chosen the code assignments even though I still struggle with the coding languages. With the experience of taking a C++ class before maybe it’s time to showcase what I can do.  The project assignment I will work on and show the steps to is the “Make A Simple Program”

Coding, also known as computer programming, is the method by which we communicate with computers. Code instructs a computer on what actions to take, and writing code is analogous to writing a set of instructions. You can tell computers what to do or how to behave much more quickly if you learn to write code. You can use this skill to create websites and apps, process data, and do a variety of other interesting things.

Why do we need coding? For the future, we all have hopes, dreams, and plans. Whether you’re looking for a new job, want to improve your current one, or simply want to try something new, coding can help you get there. And keep in mind that anyone can learn to code!

To learn to code we can visit Codecademy, Youtube, Udemy 

For my assignment, I chose to use Dev-C++ is a full-featured C and C++ Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Windows platforms. Millions of developers, students, and researchers use Dev-C++ since the first version was released in 1998. It has been featured in dozens of C++ and scientific books and remains one of the favorite learning tools among universities & schools worldwide.

I created a simple program game called “Guess My Number”. My screenshots will display the code of lines and the result of the finished product. 

The project assignment from the  DS106 Assignment Bank that I would like to try and learn, is the Design Assignments specifically the Sports Poster.  Posters serve several purposes in the promotion of your sporting event. You can intrigue people’s interest with large, eye-catching posters before the game and raise player awareness with posters at the event. Posters can also alert people to concessions during the game. Your idol may have these posters of their favorite players on their room walls and admire them. It creates a motivational connection between the players and the people.

I feel like we are very limited of time but two projects at most for me will be fine to do. As you can see, I have displayed some coding programs for which I am still struggling as a coder. For me, it’s a hate and love situation with coding because if there comes an error then you must spend hours on it to get it to work which is the annoying part. As for the designing assignment creating a digital poster looks to be a slight challenge and also seems to be fine.

5 thoughts on “Assignment #4 – Digital Storytelling Project Flexibility”

1. Epic!
    Great great work on this project and the assignment as a whole!
    Thank you so much!
    Its always fun to see some of the ds106 code assignments taken on!
    This post is also a nice example of your stylization and evolution in our class!
    Thank you!

1. Prof. really appreciate the feedback, creating this post was time-consuming and working with the ds106 is fun and also somewhat challenging in terms of the coding assignment. The evolution for me in this class is using the great tools you have provided us. Thank you for sharing these tools.

2. Hey Zia, I really enjoyed reading your post because my sister is majoring in computer science so I see her coding and hear her talk about it all the time even though I never really understand. But your post really broke down what coding is, the different types, and I love how you incorporated a meme for better understanding. I could only imagine how much effort and time you put into this assignment because I witness firsthand how frustrating coding can be.

3. Hi Zia, I liked that you gave a step by step explanation about your coding assignment and different helpful resources to use. As a computer science major myself, I completely relate to the love-hate relationship with error messages. I saw a meme recently that I thought was pretty funny, it said you know you’re making progress when you see a different error message.