Assignment #8 – Building My Website

Woman reminiscing about a journey.
From making gifs and memes to creating websites.

Registering my domain, installing WordPress and working with it was much easier than I thought. It was also enjoyable! I was paranoid I would make a mistake somewhere along the way. So, I followed Prof. Seslow’s Zoom video to a T.

The first step in the process was checking to see if my domain name was available.

Screenshot of webpage
It was!

From here, it was a straightforward process of following along with the video. Everything went smoothly. After entering my information, I started to wait for the confirmation email, which went to the Junk folder.

Man walking holding up an envelope
Good thing Prof. brought that up, or I would’ve been panicking.

I confirmed my email and then went to the following page to begin installing WordPress.

Screenshot of a webpage
Success!

I decided to change a few things, such as the website’s name and slogan, during the WordPress setup phase. After a few clicks, I was presented with my brand new website.

And my reaction was:

Man not liking something.
I really didn’t.

So much so that I didn’t take a screenshot of it. The webpage was the very generic ‘Hello World’ one.

It was time to put on headphones, bust out the inspirational music from YouTube and get to work.

Killjoy Lets Get To Work GIF by dignitas - Find & Share on GIPHY

I was comfortable doing so because WordPress is familiar to me. I added a few pages, including ones with my bio and contact information. I also threw in a nice Adele gif. The theme I selected is a simple one. But it reminds me of how a newspaper looks. I plan to add a nice banner behind my name in the future. Feel free to stop by!

Screenshot of website.
The final product. For now.

3 thoughts on “Assignment #8 – Building My Website”

1. I agree I thought the process of making the website was going to be much harder, but it was pretty easy and straightforward. I like how you started editing your website, I did the same too by adding a GIF.

2. Epic!
    Great work on this all around!
    Im excited for you and to see what comes next!
    Wordpress is so vast and there is so much one can do with it!
    Sooo creatively, where do you see your site evolving to fast forward 1 year?
    🙂