CT101 Final Blog Post / Charles Johnson

My experience during CT101 with Professor Ryan Seslow has been a positive learning experience with an emphasis on creativity, expressing yourself, and learning to work at an optimal pace. I have learned some valuable lessons from the disciplines of CT101 that I can use in all areas of my life. The class of CT101 has helped me navigate the online world in a positive way by showing me that my presence and ability to create makes me a significant influence on our future. CT101 is a good guide for harnessing our technology to create gifs, blog posts, participate in online learning spaces, communicate and discuss opinions, create a domain to build your own website, and other extremely important skills that give you the ability to make great change. I believe everyone’s participation in the online environment is an important mass interaction that holds the connection of humanity together. There is still a large portion of the world that does not participate in online interaction but with the advancement of “thousands of small satellites orbiting the earth to provide broadband internet service.”(C. Knight) the world of online interactions will grow exponentially. 

Throughout the course we participated in lessons that showed us how to do many different things. This course has shown me how to register for a CUNY Academic Commons account. Creating this account was the first step that brought us all together to collaborate and learn together. Initially I didn’t like the website when I first joined the CT101 class. After realizing how accessible and chronologically organized the website was, I began enjoying picking up where I left my work later into the semester.  

Another skill this class has shown me is how to create, edit, and publish our own posts. Creating our first post resembled the feeling of a first impression. This is because having the freedom to apply any gif, image, and video creates a unique personal connection with what you post. Your post reflects all of us in different ways by showing our values, interests, and preferences. 

https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker

Although participation may have been lacking, this class has changed my outlook on responding and presenting your opinions to others. Sharing and discussing opinions is an important interaction because it gives us multiple perspectives. Having verbal interaction with experienced people is an advantage of online spaces. Commenting and replying in genuine conversation is an important advantage of online spaces. 

Creating and sharing gif images was one of the highlights of CT101. It was a fun and relaxing project that made us find the fun in our assignments.  This set the tone for the rest of the semester because we realized that this class was a fun environment where we could express ourselves. 

Storytelling assignments and projects that required detailed online research gave us the knowledge necessary in creating our own website domain and building a personal website. These assignments assisted in my website building through growing important habits such as adding hyperlinks, following video tutorials, and other important skills. These habits allowed me to illustrate my own website with the new program WordPress. Being introduced to WordPress was a confusing experience because there was so much information to consider when learning how to add new things into your website. 

Helpful video tutorials and online explanations of the WordPress interface creates an efficient way of understanding how to customize your own website. Without the ease of online research, I would not be able to figure out how to function a WordPress website as easily as I did this semester. 

I appreciate the encouragement to create that professor Seslow provided throughout CT101. Towards the end of the semester, I realized that we had the freedom to create anything we wanted by connecting it to our assignments. This encouragement inspired me to create my own Vaporwave banner for CT101 in one of our final assignments. This type of creative development and initiative to act on creative impulse is one of the most important purposes of the CT101 class. I believe creating throughout your career no matter what path, maintains innovative progress in all areas of development. 

I believe I have participated in all areas of CT101 to receive an A- grade. Over the course of this semester, I have struggled with investing the ideal amount of time into all parts of my life. Finding a balance for living life in a fulfilling and progressive way is the most important aspect of our lives. This class has allowed us to learn our preferred working patterns. Analyzing the amount of time spent doing a task is a good implication of how proficient you are in that task. This analysis allows me to predict my work ethic for the following semesters. I think this class has shown me how much time I require to succeed in an area of study. Building my own website at my pace and learning how much work I can get done in an amount of time is very important during a pandemic. I was able to complete most of the given assignments while maintaining other areas of my life. These other areas include being a part of a functional family, having a reliable schedule, maintaining physical health, and staying mentally flexible. I believe I deserve an A- grade because this class has taught me that humans are very conscious beings that are capable of influencing the future in powerful ways. Having the ability to harness your true intuition is especially important for our future. Understanding yourself and where your creativity originates from can help you make a big impact. I believe being able to balance both areas of your life are significantly important when succeeding in class. 

I am very happy with the outcome of my website “CreativesStayCurious”. The opportunity to create my own website has never presented itself to me and I am grateful enough to continue the development on my project. Creating visual representation is one of my greatest passions and being able to share that knowledge with other people is one of the advantages of online spaces. Overall, I have had a pleasant experience in CT101 I have been exposed to a lot of new digital skills and I plan to take more classes in this area of study. 

1 thought on “CT101 Final Blog Post / Charles Johnson”

1. Thank you very much for the great work and contributions to our course!
    You have completed great work across all of ur class criteria! This is fantastic final reflection and assertion of you time here in CT101. Im a big fan of these kinds of things as you know, it allows for us to relive the learning experiences from a step forward, to see how and where we started and how that linage helped us go forward.
    Good work on your site! Please keep me posted on its progress and cool new art that gets published there! Now its time for a rest, happy holidays!