Finding The Perfect Domain Name

Before I started this assignment I watched this domain name check list video to hopefully get some ideas. It was tailored more towards business websites but it was still informative.

Coming up with ideas for my website was hard enough but then came the time to think of domain names which was even harder. Then making sure they were available was the hardest part. I used WhoIs.com to check to see if any of the domain names I chose were ‘unoccupied’ which was super frustrating because they usually were which meant they had to be heavily modified or scrapped altogether.

I’ve managed to conjure up two main ideas for what my website could potentially be:

A basic blog site; I’d post weekly updates sort of like a web journal about things I felt, realized, thought about or learned during the previous week. Although I’d mainly be writing about myself, I think it’d be cool to leave a prompt or ask a question at the end of every post to spark some sort of conversation (similar to our class assignments).

• lets-chat.net
      • weekwithme.com

A website based on music; Each post would consist of songs I love, discovered or listened to during the week before and I’d ask for any suggestions based on what I posted. I’ve been trying to broaden my musical horizons lately so I thought this would be a fun concept. 

• musictoyourears.us
      • music-room.us
      • music-spot.us
      • feel-the-music.us

One of my favorite websites recently has been Heardle.com; it’s the music equivalent to Wordle.

*This part was written after thinking about it for a while*

I think I’m too indecisive of a person to pick one topic and stick to it so I have settled on fusing together all the ideas I had. The website will be about any and everything that I think of or feel like talking about at the time of posting. It’d be like playing ‘topic roulette’ each week to decide what to write about. One week the post could be about art and the other it could be about school but it would always be 100% authentic.

• brownespot.com
      • brownecorner.com
      • brownebronco.com

I didn’t really want to include my name in the domain name but it was a lot easier to find one that incorporated my last name because it’s an uncommon spelling. I used ‘spot’ and ‘corner’ because the site will be my own little place on the internet and I have my dad to thank for the ‘bronco’, it’s my favorite nickname I’ve ever had so it felt right to include it.

2 thoughts on “Finding The Perfect Domain Name”

1. Hi Tiandra,
    I also struggled with the domain name trying to create something and it helped me to think about the things that interest me. We have unlimited choices to create the name but however, but there are few that really make us stand out. Good luck and keep going at it practice makes perfect and you will only learn as you move on.

1. Thank you, Zia! It’s definitely a work in progress but luckily we have lots of time to customize the website the way we want and decide what content goes there so I’ll definitely take your advice!