What a meme

Are memes art?

There’s a big debate on whether or not memes are art but art is all about creation, we’re are at a day and age where creation can happen physically or digitally. I found on the internet that memes aren’t validated as art because it is used for laughs but that is still an emotion. Other forms of art bring out a different emotion. Some people awe at art, cry, smile or feel inspired. Although, memes cannot be classified as classic art it is still art nonetheless.

Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it but art is also interpreted by the viewer and the viewer can have any opinion on the work of art, so relatively speaking it is the viewer’s discretion. If you’re looking at the definition of art, memes fall under that category and I feel like people just don’t like to accept things that are new. There is a debate online and people really sit there and say memes are not art but there is no proof or validation as to why it’s not. I just feel like if memes fall under the definition of art then it fits to be considered art.

Are memes good or bad for communication?

A conversation is a form of communication because there is speech and dialogue. Cavemen told stories with pictures and art on cave walls, the Egyptians use hieroglyphics and deaf people use sign language. There are so many different forms of communication. GIFs and memes are considered to be a graphic form of communication. It is found that memes are a good form of literature too since they are universally understood, can be created by anyone and spread quickly.

Some people communicate with just emojis through text so who are we to discriminate memes? Memes are new and a little unorthodox but it gets the job done and it can spread messages: political, informational, promotional, etc. Communication is an interaction and we as humans interact in so many different ways, memes just make the conversation more engaging and enjoyable.

Are memes simply just forms of self-expression? or are they more?

Memes are definitely a form of self expression, revealing the creators feelings, intentions or message they are trying to convey. Memes are just another creative way to self-express. There are so many different images at the creators disposal and depending on the image, the message will write itself or the creator would divert their attention on whatever they write on the image. Memes are a form of escapism. Memes are also more than what meets the eye or what people might think them to be. I just feel like memes sometimes receive a negative connotation because they are short lived but I think that’s the beauty of memes they are everchanging and there is never a boring moment. Every meme is unique and interesting.

Can memes be used for storytelling?

Memes can definitely be used for storytelling, it is just a visual way of doing it. Online platforms like Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc. are how the average person creates and shares content. A person’s profile can tell a story of their life, the platforms have a “story” that lasts 24 hours because it tells of the person’s day/night which tells a story. People in production when they’re in the planning process of a shoot, they use a tool called a story board which is a series of images or drawn images that tell the story that they are trying to depict. A meme has many different uses and definitions which shows how versatile they are.

Favorite meme of all time

I like this meme a lot because I empathize with the meme. Whenever anyone says something dumb, this is my reaction. When someone asks me a question that I don’t know the answer to, this is my reaction. When the teacher calls my name but I didn’t raise my hand, this is my reaction. I feel like the puppet is saying “What?” Just imagine the different ways “what” can be said, a tone can change the context of “what” but no matter the context, this image still fits the description. Memes can be created so easily, with just a click of a button.

Craft a meme

Creating a narrative with memes

This class is communications technology: Digital storytelling and memes is visual storytelling through technology thus making it digital. In today’s day and age, there is a lot of political conflict, climate change, police brutality, racism, discrimination and other injustices that effect my way of living and those people whom I care about. I feel like since memes are trendy, their messages spread quicker to various different audiences. Memes are a versatile tool when it comes to people understanding the picture. Anyone can create a story and anyone can create a meme, all is possible.

2 thoughts on “What a meme”

1. I agree with you on how memes are unquestionably a kind of self-expression, expressing the creator’s sentiments, intentions, or message. Great job on this post. Great memes.

2. Wonderful work on this!
    Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses, and the super well crafted post!
    Great use of memes and their power as an art form!