Are memes art ?

What is art ? Art can best be defined as a way of communication with creative imagination such as painting, music, dancing  and poetry. Art is an act of expressing feelings. People can experience the same piece of art and have different reactions to it.

Mona Lisa's eyes don't actually follow you, researchers say - CNN Style
One of the most famous art paintings

What are memes ? According to Memes as art, memes  are the street art of the social web, and like street art, they are varied, expressive, and complex and they contend with the existing politics of our public spaces. Furthermore, memes are a way of expressing one’s emotion.

One of my favorite memes.

To answer the question, are memes art ? Yes memes are art because they help people communicate and express their feelings just like art. In the article “ Memes as Art” state “ Art is constantly evolving, but if the purpose of art is to express a human truth, the internet meme fits the bill. Like many other art forms, we use memes to understand, critique and share thoughts about the world around us. Exhibits on the internet memes signal their importance and pay tribute to them as cultural icons.” In other words, memes are the new art form of the 21st century. Dancing Black Kids meme

1 thought on “Are memes art ?”

1. Thanks so much, this is looking good!
    I love this answer: – “memes are the street art of the social web, and like street art, they are varied, expressive, and complex and they contend with the existing politics of our public spaces.” So well said and it paints a picture in my minds eye!
    I do think a post about memes needs to have a few more memes! You could even make a new meme about not having enough memes in your post :)))
    Best part about wordpress is that it is easy to continue adding to your posts – Thank you!