Assignment #3: MeMe’ing-ness

Indeed, internet memes are a fixture in the digital world. When the question arises as too if they can be considered an art, subjectivity blossoms. In my earnest opinion, I reckon they are.

A relatively new phenomenon, the GIF expands the ability to express and portray stories. I get a sense of joy and thrill when I am able to include them in my articles. Grants me a sense of completion and true fulfillment in all honesty. Usually in other classes memes are frowned upon, as it’s deemed unprofessional or not academic rather.

In my section of class, I think we have a great group, the synergy in the classroom makes for better networking and collaboration when we interact with each other on our content here.

I usually find memes on a simple google search, or through twitter usually. That’s why I am grateful to have learned about GIPHY. Such a broader selection and a great resource to find such gems. I have always been aware of their presence, but this is the first proper occasion that I’m able to utilize them. Never really added them in group chats or anything haha. I try to add diverse types of memes that have different subjects as I feel it appeals to a broader group and also gives depth to my work.

In the work so far, I have been able to include various hyperlinks, screenshots and memes that I am over the moon to include.  I’m really pleased with my product. In addition to it being a different style than I have written in the past. I’ll add some more below.

Don’t get me wrong, I know that they aren’t traditionally accepted as pieces in MOMA or the Museum of Natural History. That’s due to a poor start of a reputation. Which is only projected to be more accepted in future years.

Take this article from whatiknowmeme.org, Memes as Art.
They reinforce my claim immensely, by stating, “They are a highly accessible art form worthy of serious consideration, and exhibits serve to more permanently record their impact as well as give people more space and time to absorb meaning, reflect on how they affect their lives, and engage in conversations about inspiration, content, and effect. They stand as another example of a physical embodiment of a meme, underscoring their ability to take many forms and exist in many media spaces.” It’s a good read as well.

Furthermore, the following video speaks on the validity of memes’ being an art.

Lastly, I think I will mention my experience. In the last assignment, I felt that meme’s added a huge artistic touch to my work and elevated my point to new heights. A new threshold was achieved.

9 thoughts on “Assignment #3: MeMe’ing-ness”

1. Ok, thank you for getting started here, so far so good – I see the beginnings of a great post – but we have a lot more work to do (which is super fun and creative) – please re-review the full class recording (embedded in the week #4 blog post I shared) and note the length of my blog posts / assignment prompts. Your posts should also reflect the length of my posts, my posts are examples to follow as a template – This post has left out several key aspects of the assignment, lets review it again and keep going – Im here to help, you can reply here with questions, thank you! 🙂

1. Yes please! As well as making a few of your own and adding context – where do find memes online? What are your favorite existing memeS? Have fun!

1. We can chat about it in class tomorrow, your post is a great example to share, it all takes practice and a lot of revising to get into a flow, Ill share some more examples in class – In the meantime, this post could use more hyperlinks 🙂 Does Kermit the frog have a website? Lol 🙂

2. I enjoyed the content you added to your post this week. However, I think the Youtube tutorial “validity of memes” could be placed at the beginning of your post.

I think it’s essential for the viewer to see something visually that interests them, which they can immediately click on. This will capture your audience’s attention; I also plan to change the order in my upcoming blog post.

I would also limit the comments below the memes to one or two sentences.

I recognize that you did add the meme first, which from my understanding, will also draw in your audience. But adding your video sooner may be even stronger to get people interested and clicking on your post.

Good work, and thanks for starting the Homework #3 blog post. Checking out your post inspired me to start creating my homework. Please check out my post; I should have a first draft up this evening. I appreciate any critique that may help to make my blog more enticing.