Assignment 3: Memes = Art? Let’s Talk.

skeptical boy
ASSIGNMENT #3: MEMES= ARTS? LET’S TALK!
It has been said that meme can be looked at as art because of its’ expressive content. I agree. People have different ways of expressing themselves without it having to be in words. In this class specifically, I’ve learned how to explain how I am feeling with just using MEMES. CT 101 has allowed you to do actual work with memes and it becomes something that you’re passionate about.
headache
When reading about MEMES and the question of it being  art, it is interesting to what is said about it. In the website, Spoken Vision ,the article on memes being art argue both sides. The article talks about Pop Art that was popular in the 1950s that used popular media style to create some form of heart. But they also speak on how memes were just made for cheap laughs and that they don’t have any artistic value in them.
It was also very essential on the impact of memes as art when Puerto Rican artist, Jesús “Bubu” Negrón presented his memes in an exhibit at first just to make his friends laugh. But more into his exhibit in the article from Art Zealous,  he comments that when people notice that something is special, they’re the ones who are able to help bring it out into the context of the art world or gallery world.”
ryan gosling
I think that’s a big thing that stuck with me and made me agree with art being memes in the first place: having someone take the work seriously. Every day, you can see MEMES of politics, entertainment, music and more. Memes are no longer just used to express between friends and for laughs. We are able to communicate with these types of art.
fresh prince
CT 101 has been showing me that we can incorporate media into our work. We are able to use GIFS to tell a story. For this blog post, I was able to work with GIPHY to create my own types of GIF. I was able to first grab any animated GIF that fit my story and was able to create a new one with it, drag it in and add my own line to it like I did with above.
This shows me that I can use this type of media to even express things that happen with my own personal experiences. To give an example, I will express how lucky I felt with getting tickets to a concert with little to no money!
we are broke
So, one of my favorite artists, SZA, came out with a TOUR for her new album, SOS and everyone was going crazy for the tickets because at first, they were going $1,000+ and everyone was just stressing out, including myself! I wanted to be there so bad but I just had paid all my bills and had no money. So, I was freaking out completely! My cousin found tickets for the price of $360 and I was stressed because I could not afford it at the moment.
All of a sudden, the week after my cousin had mentioned the tickets being on sale, I had gotten a bonus form one of my jobs. I was so excited because the bonus was $300 which covered what I needed to buy the tickets for the concert. I kept contemplating if this was fate working at it’s finest!
get t f out
So at the end, I was able to go ahead and see SZA for a surreal price and was able to just get to experience someone I admire in person. I will leave you guys with this picture that I took of her at the concert on March 5th and thank you for reading my blog post!

6 thoughts on “Assignment 3: Memes = Art? Let’s Talk.”

1. Great work!
    This is a fine example of your blogging skills evolving and growing!
    Love the gifs and how they work as both Memes and gifs simultaneously!
    Great use of hyperlinks for context as well!

2. You are talented, and this blog post is simply excellent. This is an excellent example of how you are growing as a blogger.I like the gifs and how they can be used as both gifs and memes. Moreover, great use of context-sensitive hyperlinks!

3. Amazing job, you automatically caught my attention with the title alone. I love the relatable CT101 memes, spot on! And congratulations on getting to go to the SZA concert, the universe works in mysterious ways lol!