Assignment #2 – My Overall Feelings/Thoughts about CT101

On the first day of class I was thinking it has its pros and cons. I don’t like how it’s a really early class, that I have to get up at 8 in the morning to get here at around 9 for a 10 am class, so I don’t have to be late. I am really a punctual person when it comes to making sure I am not late to any class as well as homework wise.

But at the same time, I was like trying to be positive and look at the bright side which was this class has to do with digital storytelling and that means it is going to be a very interesting class and has to do a lot with internet tools and skills which I think its cool and fun. Also this is only a two hour class, so one hour lecture and the second hour working/experimenting on  commons or assignment exercises.

So, when class ended on my first day, I was like “Wow! Time went by fast” but not in a way that’s like “I can’t wait to get home and sleep”. I’m actually content that this class is two hours because I believe you can have an hour or two and still learn a lot in a small amount of time instead of 3 or 4 hours of lectures where you just want to be on your phone or sleep because the class is boring and has a lot of information.

Once I heard from my professor about the course and its creative content, I actually liked the information I was receiving. It made me feel intrigued and invested in the class to do my best as I can be since this course speaks to my career interest and that any class that teaches anything with digital makes me excited and keep wanting to learn more.

Compared to my other classes, CT101 is the most interesting, creative, fun, imaginative and a lot less stressful class. CT101 gives me many options, and tries/trial and error that doesn’t make me feel like I am doing a terrible job on the work and that I’m failing the class. This class gives me plenty of chances to improve on my blog posts and get feedback from my classmates and professor that would not sound so harsh but genuine and helpful advice/tips unlike so many of my classes that I have taken so far.

The creative potentials of this class is that I get to create/use gifs from a gif maker source such as giphy.com, insert hyperlinks, make my own gif from a YouTube clip/video using either Giphy or Imgur.com. I will say that the potentials are endless because I am only on the fourth week and there is still much to learn in the next three months and I really can not wait!!!

I feel that learning new skills that use internet tools is really captivating and exciting. Sometimes it can be scary to try out new tools that I’ve never even heard of or even know how to use, but at the same time I am willing to face the challenge.

Now, let us look at some history of the Gif (jif or ghif). Wikipedia states that Gif stands for graphics interchange format and was developed by a team at the online services provider CompuServe led by American computer scientist Steve Wilhite and released on June 15 1987. Did you know that Whilhite stated that he intended for the pronunciation to purposely echo the American peanut butter brand Jif, and CompuServe employees would often joke “choosy developers choose GIF”, a spoof of Jif’s television commercials? I definitely didn’t know.

In my opinion, I prefer to go with the pronunciation of Gif as Jif with a soft g. I was always used to saying it that way all my life and I feel like it would be kind of strange to change the way I say Gif because once I know how to say a word, which I think and feel is the right/proper way of pronouncing it, I will always stick by my word.

I really loved the features of Giphy more than Imgur, but I don’t know why I couldn’t post the gif as you can see down below on here that I made on Giphy. So I made the same gif on Imgur with better and quicker results and not having any trouble with posting it on here. Now I’ll say that “I don’t want to hear anymore about the arguments of the right way or wrong way of pronouncing Gif”.

5 thoughts on “Assignment #2 – My Overall Feelings/Thoughts about CT101”

1. Epic Post!!
    Thank you so much for the great work on this!
    A fine example for all, great use of embedded media, context, hyperlinking and storytelling!
    We got to learn more about you and how you are expanding your learning and creativity here!
    Great selection of GIFs and application / formatting as a whole!

1. Hey Luis, I really enjoyed reading your post and completely agree with you. The only downside is having to get up reaaly early. Also your post was very insightful as to the history of Gif.